Sunday, July 31, 2011

A rather tardy review of CC-CS and a few bits of advice

My opinion on The Center for Cross-Cultural Studies has changed since my first few days here in chilly February.

I didn't speak all that much Spanish during the semester and that was my biggest complaint. I didn't find the classes challenging, but I really should have taken courses at the university. I didn't speak Spanish all the time in the Center--I confess--but no one else did either. At home, my roommate and I ended up chatting in English every so often when we weren't around our host señora. I could have been responsible for myself and only spoken in Spanish, but I didn't. So, I want to clear this up for myself and tell future study abroad students: speak Spanish. You might be the only one doing it, but do it anyway. Avoid Americans. This means you'll be a loner for a while, but do it anyway.

Volunteer. Take basic dance classes at Voulez-bar in Nervión. Do something other than going to Buddha or Caramelo with Americans if you can help it. Well. Maybe go once. It's an experience. Hang out with your intercambios, too.

Find a neat bar or café near your home and go there every so often. Get to know the people that work there or frequent there and you'll have found yourself a speaking partner and they won't even be aware how beneficial they are to you. Una tostada con mermelada (my favorite) y café con leche would be the perfect complements to a Spanish conversation at breakfast.

This is just if you actually want to improve your Spanish. There is plenty of fun to be had with little to no effort involved if you don't really want to practice too much. Anyway, those are some of my consejos.

The CC-CS staff have always been helpful, as far as I've found. Helpful in the Spanish way, but definitely there to lend a hand, whether it means getting help in a roundabout way or a different-than-American-organized way--they get the job done. We are in Sevilla, España after all. Things are not the same as in our country.

And a report of their office staff: a few days ago, I went to hand in my cell phone. I ran into the director who A) remembered my name though we hadn't spoken much, and I hadn't been there since mid-May! and B) took a minute or two to chat. I love that about Spanish culture: there is (almost) always time to catch up with someone you happen to run into. And last week, I ran into one of my professors on the street. She was shopping, paused to chat a bit, and--like the director--remembered my name, too! I really appreciate when people remember names. It's just a nice detail.

In the main office, the women are kind and offer a hello and a smile along with their useful aid for us ignorant guiri students. Take advantage of the opportunities when studying abroad. Get over the cultural differences. Be prepared to be offended sometimes but be aware you may be offending someone sometimes too. Focus on the positive! ¡Y habla español!

EDIT: After reading this, I've realized the enormous amount of command forms. Be prepared. This is the way we speak here. Commands twenty-four seven. It's so efficient! 

No comments: