Monday, June 13, 2011

If the circle-braid comes back into popularity

I'm taking full credit.

PARIS, France: I rocked the braid all day here in Paris: stopping by the Latin quarter, Notre Dame, the Luxemborg Garden and spent a few hours roaming the Parisian streets. I bought a book of Rilke's poetry in German and English at Shakespeare and Company. I could have spent hours in that book store, nestled in the Poet's Corner, but then I probably would have bought too many books and had to pay RyanAir's heinous over-weight baggage fees.

I just want the world to know that I started this trend--or brought it back from a century ago--in October 2010. Someday soon, someone will be featured on the real Sartorialist with hair like this...someday.

At Notre Dame, I ran into a classmate from Hillsdale! This world can be so cozy and small sometimes. We stopped and chatted in front of the cathedral, only minutes later to be swarmed by pigeons. A woman near us was feeding them and even putting seed on the hat on her head, allowing the filthy animals to perch there. I wasn't too keen on the idea, but Sarah had a hat on and went for it. I snapped pictures, risking my braided-head to do so--whilst unprepared, a bird swooped on my head too! I shouted at it and it let me be. I literally had just started singing "feed the birds, tuppence a bag..." when I had to begin frantically waving my arms because feeding the birds was actually the last thing I wanted to do. The song was just rather fitting at the moment.

The Luxemborg Gardens were lovely but overpopulated. I don't know why I imagine I can find a garden all to myself in Paris or Madrid or any city, but it appears to be my subconscious hope as I approach a garden. The green spot I've hunted on the map is to be my haven for a few hours...then I enter only to be disappointed by the myriad others looking for a reprise from the busy city sidewalks. I enjoyed the stroll, a few solitary-ish moments beneath a tree and then walked back to my friend's apartment, being ever-so-French by picking up a warm baguette for our supper.

I'm creating a splendid soundtrack to my life here in France, begun by listening to Carla Bruni's "Quelqu'un m'a dit" on the flight in--French countryside is absolutely gorgeous and inspired me to listen to the only French song on my iPod--then singing Les Miserables songs to myself as I view the Eiffel Tower and then today, of course "feed the birds." Jon Foreman has been delightful company as well: he and I enjoyed sunset at the Eiffel Tower together. And King David's Psalms and songs were good food for meditation and reflection as I sprawled in the grass in front of the Tower. As I paraded down Rue Vaugirard today, in the 15th arrondisement, Sufjan Steven's Chicago made my life feel epic. I am so glad for music. And food--

Pain au chocolat, macarons, crépes with nutella and walnuts, chocolate sable, just-made sandwiches chock full of meat and vegetables on hearty bread, cheeses of all varieties, fresh jams and jellies, baguettes, baguettes and more baguettes...this city is delicious.

And who knew French food was simple? My friend Natalie says it is and I'm starting to realize she's right. My definition of simple might just be too elementary as far as cooking goes... I think four years ago, when I visited France for the first time, I was scared away by the huge amounts of cheese with all sorts of strong flavors. The food may not be too complicated but the cheese and its flavors sure are. I find I am enjoying the simple meals here though now; a fresh baguette, cheese and raspberry jam--nothing could be better! Accompanied by wine and finished off by dark chocolate, this has been a marvelous few days.

I'm not the typical tourist: I would rather sit for an hour in the Luxemborg Gardens or at a café observing life on the Parisian streets than stumble through the Louvre for half a day. Though I would like to go say hello to my friend Mona Lisa--it has been four years after all--I just don't think I can take the time from other things I'd rather be doing.

Note to self and others: Northern France is much cooler than southern Spain, pack appropriately and take up every kilo of the 10 kg RyanAir limit in scarves and warm clothing.

No comments: