Monday, August 1, 2011

Obrigada for the cool weather

LISBOA, Portugal -- It is so nice here: grey, rainy and cool. It has an entirely different feel than Sevilla. The temperature, the odd, guttural language and the slow pace of the big-eyed Portuguese--really, people here have large, sad-like-Humphrey-Bogart eyes--are quite a change from broiling and vivacious Sevilla.

On the delayed flight here from dear Sevilla, there was an 8-year-old boy crying for his life (I think he was tired and didn't like the sensation of building pressure in his ears). And I had thought that a baby's crying could be rather annoying...

When I got to the airport, I had to pick up my luggage (which is too heavy, I believe, but Sevilla let me go without paying extra). I had to talk to three different people until I found a way to store it overnight. So, it's awaiting me in the Left Luggage area to claim in the morning.


Prices here are cheaper than Sevilla. And people speak English. As of right now, I would recommend a visit. I am going to roam around some more, find my hostel and then prepare for my flight tomorrow.



...less than an hour later:
I am not in my hostel yet. I started walking there and got sketched out. I am glad I brought a scarf: it's going on my head when I do decide to make the trip to Rue do Maria 55. My rain-soaked moccasins and I are certain that once we are in the hostel, we aren't coming back out again until morning for the flight home! So I decided to make use of my time out of doors before I shut myself away for the evening. I am going to roam around some more in the not-so-sketch areas of Lisboa--there are plenty to be found--while ducking under trees to let the heaviest rain pass before I continue on my adventures.

What have I sought refuge, you may ask? Why, I will tell you. Starbucks--I confess. I have learned to be quite efficient in the 45-minute internet time limit.

About 14 hours and counting until I leave for the wonderful United States.

No comments: